Impress everyone in your hometown by telling them you live on Broadway!
Location: 556 West 114th
- Nearby dorms: Connected to Hogan; close to Carman, the brownstones on 114th St., and Ruggles.
- Stores and restaurants: University Housewares, Morton Williams, Wu & Nuss, Sweetgreen, Junzi, Dos Toros, Starbucks,
- Cost: The 2023-2024 housing rate for upperclassmen is projected to be $11,574/year.
- Bathrooms: Each floor has four communal bathrooms that are cleaned daily Monday-Friday. These are generally kept pretty neat! Except for over the weekend, when they aren’t cleaned, and things get a little crazy. Each bathroom has around three toilet stalls and two shower stalls.
- AC/Heating: Both! Wow! Residents can control the fan speed of both the AC and the heater. As per usual with dorm heaters, Broadway’s can get pretty hot pretty quickly, but you are able to turn it on and off.
- Kitchen: There is a small kitchen on each floor of around 100 square feet, with cabinets, counters, two ovens, two stovetops, a microwave, a sink, and a dishwasher. Depending on who lives on your floor, the kitchen might get a little messy.
- Laundry: One (free) laundry room in the basement.
- Computers/Printing: The building lobby has two printers, and there is a computer lab on the third floor with eight computers and a printer.
- Gym: There is a gym on the fourth floor with an elliptical, two treadmills, and a bike. It is worth noting, however, that this gym is visible to everyone who walks by, so that’s kinda horrifying.
- Elevators: Three of them, and they are pretty quick.
- Flooring: Faux hardwood in the rooms. Carpet in the lounges and hallways. Tile in the kitchens.
- Other: There are spacious music practice rooms on the first floor!
- Broadway has 300 singles and 36 doubles.
- Most singles are 100-125 square feet and face Broadway, downtown, or north towards campus.
- Ten singles are larger than 134 square feet (woah!!!): 304, 405, and singles ending in -07 on floors six to thirteen.
- Most doubles are around 163 square feet.
- Fourteen doubles (340, 402, 456, and rooms ending in -22) are bigger (170-214 square feet). These also have better views of Broadway.
- Data from 2022 shows that students who selected into Broadway were composed of 61% juniors, 27% seniors, and 11% sophomores.
- “Broadway Hall is a Place To Live. Incredibly convenient location, effective AC, the best practice rooms, comfortably sized but not huge singles; all the mediocrity of being in corridor-style housing. Also crucial and weird is that the bathroom layouts are super different on the east/west wings of the building and the east wing bathrooms are much better!!!”
- “Rooms are very nice and clean, built-in shelves are convenient. Some of the worst shared bathroom etiquette I have ever encountered. But maybe that was just my particular floor my particular year.”
Note: According to Columbia Housing, “a full building refresh project is scheduled for Summer 2023 and includes upgraded pantries, restrooms, carpet, lighting, and furniture.”
Images via Bwog Staff and Bwarchives
@Anonymous Wow. Columbia dorms are really nice.