The Race Ends Here

Tsk, tsk Korilla.

Korilla, the Korean BBQ food truck run by Columbia alums, has been a competitive contestant on the second season of the hit Food Network reality TV show “The Great Food Truck Race.” In this week’s episode, filmed in Memphis, the Korilla truck ran into some problems. Here are the relevant parts of the episode, according to Reality TV Magazine.

“Korilla discovers their location isn’t going so well, as evidenced by their small line. They struggle for the first time in the competition…Tyler [the host] calls the teams to tell them they must switch to solely vegetarian menus… Korilla makes a call for a tofu delivery. However, Korilla BBQ’s tofu tacos don’t exactly impress their meat loving Memphis customers.”

Korilla allegedly did something very naughty. Tipsters have reported that they deposited their own money into the cash box, making it look like they sold more tacos (giving them higher profits) than they actually did. In the climactic final minutes of the show, Tyler exposed them as cheaters and disqualified them from the competition. Korilla tried to defend their reputation, tweeting “WE WOULD NEVER CHEAT ON YOU NEW YORK.”

In the real world, there’s no dean’s discipline, only a city’s scorn. Korilla, we may be disappointed, but you still serve delicious tacos—what a moral quandary.

Lots of paper via Wikimedia Commons.

• As a vegetarian says:

@As a vegetarian Their tofu tacos just aren’t very good. It’s pretty bland, plain tofu. Not sure it was just Memphis meat eaters who did them in.

@Anonymous Holy shit haha how dumb can they get?

1. Yeah says:

@Yeah I remember when my food cart got into a similar situation, but it was a local university blog that then showed me the error of my ways and then, when everything else was lost, kept my hopes up.

I’m just glad that there are so many of us who knew them personally and also have competed in a fictitious game show to be forgotten about in the long term while the network survives in the short term. What proper discernment we all have !

@Anonymous I cant believe they cheated. The fact that they didnt argue proved thier guilt. I was pulling for them since episode 1, and sad that they are cheaters. The sad thing is that they didnt even have to cheat. They got what they deserve. An early trip home.

1. SHUT THE FRONT DOOR says:

@SHUT THE FRONT DOOR EVER HEARD OF THE 5TH AMENDMENT

@Anonymous Fifth Amendment does not apply. These were contestants on a TV Game show, not defendants in a court of law.

@Anonymous Ever heard of editing?

@Anonymous really disappointing they cheated..my niece & nephews are Korean, make fantastic food, & would never cheat, they embarrasssed themselves!

• Well says:

@Well if you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen-van-contraption.

@Anonymous OMG!!! Columbia alums??!! More like Dumbia alums…uh…remember the rules..will accept money only with receipts…what stupid idiots!! I hope this embarrassed the hell out of them. Gives us Koreans a bad name.

@Anonymous The second season of this show is really becoming a bore to watch. Plus some genius posted on her/his blog who the final 2 are. This show needed some controversy to get more people to watch. Maybe Korilla didn’t even cheat. Obviously they can’t defend themselves right now since the producers are keeping them quiet. It’s all part of the contract.

• dg says:

@dg for me, the jury is still out until they fully tell their side of the story. one of korillams team stated that they the foodnetwork were making them look like fools. in another forum it was said the statement could be chalked up to cultural differences in that superiors shouldnt make those underneath them look foolish in public but it could also be sour grapes. there is obviously more to this story than meets the eye and i am curious to hear from korilla directly about what happened as well as why it happened.

@Anonymous Korilla was my favorite truck in the race. I am sorry it ended the way it did. Hopefully you can figure out some great PR and capitalize on the press. Would love to see a Korilla food truck in Chicago.

@Anonymous Seems that the Lime Truck is the eventual winner as they are the target of a lawsuit in Miami for trademark infringement and they also just launched a new truck. that sucks. Lime green headbands should never have beat Korilla.

@Anonymous if you have eaten from the lime truck you would not be saying that. they have amazing food. 10-hour marinated pulled pork tacos, fries with jalepeno infused mango honey sauce with goat cheese, awesome carnitas fries…not to mention in the last episode that blogger said the meal they made for him was one of the best he has tasted in his life.

• To be fair says:

@To be fair Food Network is a POS channel with a history of indiscretion when it comes to rigging game shows.

• CC'13 says:

@CC'13 surprising amount of non-columbia comments in this thread haha

@Anonymous I’m all in for hating on other cultures, but seriously guys, what’s with the Korean bashing?

@Anonymous I’m severely disappointed that Korilla cheated, but I’m even more disappointed in the comments on this page. “Koreans are liars and cheaters”? There are over 2 million Korean Americans in this country. Have you met every single one? Have you ignorant fools posting those comments been to Korea? You might as well shave your heads, get a swastika tattoo and walk around with a rope. It’s people like you with racist preconceived notions that give Americans a bad name.

• cheezegurl says:

@cheezegurl I find the comments soooo funny that the network schemed up this whole cheating thing to boost raitings….OK either way both senerios makes Korilla STUPID…..1. if they “didnt” do it why the Hell would you let the network label you as cheaters and hurt your business..2. Actually Cheat on national TV and get busted….either way DUMB!!
    So long!

• anon says:

@anon Seriously, I hope these horribly racist comments are from non-columbians. I’m all for freedom of speech in theory, but I feel like these comments are overly hurtful and make CU students and bwog in general seem extremely hateful. Can a bwog editor simply take them down? They are incredibly offensive and disgusting.

1. Claire says:

@Claire We do our best to take down comments that violate our policy in a timely fashion, but it sometimes takes a few hours to get through them all. We always appreciate help from our readers, and you can alert us to offensive comments at editors@bwog.com

@Anonymous thanks bwog! <3

• sculptingmama says:

@sculptingmama The race card really!! This is crazy. It’s just a show and a game. So they are young men and they screwed up. They wanted to win so bad they messed up. Since when is winning and or cheating about one culture or race over another. There young men and they will have a lot to learn from all this. But cut the race blaming folks……….. and no I’m not Korean. I just see people for people.

• Steve says:

@Steve As a martial artist, I have the greatest respect and admiration for the Korean people and culture. I know how poorly these bums will be received in their community for cheating. And to think I was rooting for these guys to win it! As for the comment in this article about this being a “moral quandry”? What?!! There is no quandry here, in my book it is immoral to cheat. Cheating has nothing to do with quality food (obviously). I hope these clowns learned a lesson here.

@Anonymous Kinda felt like the vegetarian challenge was a bit unfair. If you impose a
    “challenge,” it should be one that effects a disadvantage as uniformly as possible, like requiring trucks to add goat cheese to every dish, or requiring dishes to be sold at no more than $2, or requiring pineapple dishes. Requiring all-vegetarian dishes is almost like saying “no grilled cheese dishes” or “no vegetables in any dishes”– it completely cripples a meat taco truck like Korilla and gift wraps a challenge to the grilled cheese truck. This isn’t a “challenge” so much as it’s a competition modifier, almost a biased TV-type producer move to alter the complexion of the competition. It’s not a challenge of skill but an arbitrary restriction on certain trucks to compete.

• Ladymomo says:

@Ladymomo That totally sucks!! I was hoping they’d win.

@Anonymous I’m confused. When they say, “We would never cheat on you New York” are they denying that they cheated, or are they saying yeah, we got caught cheating on national TV, but we wouldn’t cheat the hometown crowd? Perhaps they should have said, “We would never cheat, New York.”

• Buckabee says:

@Buckabee Food Network is obviously racist. They did not cheat

@Anonymous I’m not sure why, but it seems obvious that Food Network didn’t want Korilla to win, so they made up this whole cheating thing. Korilla was so smart throughout the race, they wouldn’t do something that would so obviously be recognized as cheating. Adding over $2000 to their cash box is way too extreme. Maybe Food Network ordered the cameraman to secretly add money to Korilla’s cash box (I don’t really think that happened), or maybe some of their receipts were stolen (by that same cameraman). I just think that the whole situation seems fishy.

• justme says:

@justme wow – these guys not only humiliated their alumnus/friends, but also Koreans, many I am sure might be honest

@Anonymous What a disappointment! Korilla… such a let down and all for nothing. I will never eat from a bunch of cheats for a silly game show on FoodTV.