Phonoscenes: The Music Your Parents Like, But Better

Columbia University is home to an immense number of beautiful, intelligent, and talented people. Now we introduce you to yet another group of aforementioned individuals: Phonoscenes.

The group that you may never have heard of, but probably should have, Phonoscenes competed at last year’s Battle of the Bands and Lowlapalooza. They are self-described as “a group of five early twenty somethings living in New York who devote all their time to playing music together and sharing it with anyone who will listen” on their Facebook page.

Composed of CC’14 Isaac Bunch (drums), Jacob Sunshine (bass), Spencer Cunningham (lead guitar),  Dan Girma (guitar), and SEAS’14  Cameron Erdogan (vocals), the group has been influenced by the likes of Radiohead, The Strokes, Nirvana, The Rolling Stones, and Obama, among others. While these may sound like the bands of your parents’ cocaine-laced years youth (excluding Obama), don’t despair: these guys are good.

Their motto? “A jaguar, unlike a human, is not stopped by many things.” We have no idea what this means, but man does it sound good. Just like their music.

@Anonymous How was this like Lana del rey at all?

• damn says:

@damn this is FUCKING GOOD

• 14 says:

@14 Cameron was in my Music Hum class but didn’t speak very much so I didn’t know he was a singer! This is great

• WHAHOWHAO says:

@WHAHOWHAO Sounds like a Strokes Demo… esp since the singer sounds uncannily (and enticingly) like Julian Casablancas.

• Blunts in Butler says:

@Blunts in Butler Makes me wanna get stoned. But I guess most things do that for me.

@Anonymous 4:20

@Anonymous It’s a conspiracy

@Anonymous Shitty video – gave me motion sickness. They should seriously reconsider that moving to the side effect – barf. Non-unique vocals. The only thing I enjoyed was the guitar. Good job Daniel. Wish I could say the same for Mr. Sunshine. Oh I guess Isaac was pretty good too. Made me wet.

• author is an idiot says:

@author is an idiot why is the author under the impression that my parents do cocaine and listen to radiohead? how old do you think our parents are? you are an idiot

@Anonymous my mom did cocaine off of thom yorke’s dick once, so

1. thom yorke says:

@thom yorke I can attest to this. She got every last gram.

1. Cocaine says:

@Cocaine Can confirm I was on Thom’s dick.

1. Mom says:

@Mom Honey, please respect Mommy’s privacy.

@Anonymous who the f is your mom

@Anonymous I did your mom off cocaine’s dick

@Anonymous Agree (aren’t nirvana, the strokes practically our generation? why are your parents young?) Have been really disappointed by bwog lately and I feel like the CU IQ is dropping