Just thinking about all of the cultural activities around campus and in the city makes Bwog swoon, so we’d like to share what we’ve found with you. Arts Editor Kyra Bloom delivers the scoop on your talented peers and discounted tickets. Send your event to email@example.com.
- CUPAL’s Special Project this semester is a combination of six diverse opera scenes directed and performed by Columbia students. Opera Untapped is playing in the Lerner Black Box, Thursday at 7 and Friday at 7 and 9. Tickets are $5 and are available at the TIC.
- Latenite is back in action, but in a different time and place due to a slight scuffle involving the Lerner building staff and illicit alcohol last semester. Tickets are free as always, available at the TIC. Performances are Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, all at 9 pm.
- The Barnard-Columbia Ancient Drama Group (who knew?) is performing Seneca’s Thyestes. It will be performed in Latin with English subtitles in the Minor Latham Playhouse on Thursday and Friday at 8 and Saturday at 2 and 8. Tickets also $5, available at the TIC and online.
- Postcrypt presents Abject Beauty in the basement of St. Paul’s Chapel. Curators say the exhibit is one of “happiness, hatred, and the space we inhabit between the two.” The opening reception is on Friday at 7 pm, and we hope there will be free food.
- There will be a piano recital featuring pieces by Schumann, Ravel, Berg, and Beethoven performed by Prof. Michael Skelly on Saturday at 7:30. The event hopes to fundraise for a music scholarship begun in memory of Ana Marquez-Greene—one of the Newtown victims, whose father is a musician and professor. Music inspired by children begins and closes out the program. The recital will be in the Milbank Chapel at Teacher’s College on 120th, and there is a $5 suggested donation for students.
- Beyond the Bars: Moving Forward is this weekend, the third annual Conference on Criminal Justice at the Columbia School of Social Work. The conference begins with speakers Angela Davis, Marc Lamont Hill, and Soffiyah Elijah with special guest performers throughout the evening. Registration necessary, and more information about conferences and events is available here.